Portugal & Spain with Travel Mom Amanda
Amanda, Scott and their two kids, Emmeline (9 years old) and Beckett (12 years old) spent two weeks in Portugal and Spain. This was their second trip out of the U.S. with the kids. Two years ago, they went to Italy, France and Switzerland.
We sat down with Amanda to hear all about it and get her tips and tricks for you!
How long was your trip?
2 weeks…one in Portugal (Lisbon, Sintra, Lagos) then one in Spain (Seville, Barcelona)
- Lisbon: Capital city of Portugal and Europe’s second-oldest capital (after Athens).
- Sintra: Resort town in the foothills of Portugal’s Sintra Mountains, 40 minutes by train from Lisbon.
- Lagos: In southern Portugal’s Algarve region, known for its walled old town and Atlantic beaches.
- Seville: Capital city of southern Spain’s Andalusia region famous for flamenco dancing.
- Barcelona: Capital city of Spain’s Catalonia region known for its art and architecture including Gaudí’s Sagrada Família.
What made you pick these places?
Friends were going to Portugal and asked if we wanted to come along.
What was the BEST part of the trip for you?
In Sintra, we stayed at the lovely Penha Longha Ritz Carlton Resort in Sintra-Cascais Natural Park. (It’s the only hotel in the park and a former monastery dating back to 1355.)
We had a lovely dinner there as well and a wine tasting with the sommelier learning about Portuguese wine including their white wine, Vinho Verde.
Seville was my favorite in Spain…loved the vibe and the charm.
What was the BEST part of the trip for the kids?
Emmeline and Beckett agreed…kayaking in the caves!
What was the BEST part of the trip for the family?
Guided kayak tour in the Algarve sea caves with Kayak Adventure Lagos.